Lesser Town (Malá Strana)

Nerudova street (Nerudova ulice)

Nerudova streetAll the houses in Prague used to be marked by house sings until 1770 when the new way of numbering was introduced. The houses in Nerudova Street bear an extraordinary selection of heraldic beasts and house signs. Climbing up this steep street you will notice the Red Eagle, the Golden Horseshoe, the Green Lobster or the White Swan. Many houses used nowadays as coffee houses, wine bars and pubs. Several large Baroque palaces are also situated in this street, for example the Thun Palace(the seat of the Italian embassy), and the Morzin Palace(the Romanian embassy).

The Lesser Town Square (Malostranské náměstí)

The Lesser Town SquareStarting as a market place situated near the outer bulwark of the Prague Castle, this square became the centre of the Lesser Town shortly after it was founded in 1257. The lower part of the square was used to stand gallows and a pillory. Most of the houses surrounding the square are of Gothic origin, even though all of them were rebuilt during Renaissance and Baroque period. The most important building is the Baroque Church of St. Nicholas. Next to it used to be a Jesus College. The neo-classicist house opposite the church is the Lichtenstein Palace. In front of it you can admire a plague pillar with a statue of the Holy Trinity that commemorates the end of plague epidemic in 1713. The Lesser Town Hall, the Sternberg Palace and the Smiřický Palace belong amongst other important buildings. In the eastern part of the square, there is the Kaiserstein Palace built in Baroque style.

St. Nicholas Cathedral (Chrám sv. Mikuláše)

St. Nicholas CathedralIt dominates over the Lesser Town Square and divides it into two parts. Works on the church started in 1703 and the frescoes in the magnificent nave were finished in 1761. Architects of this monumental building were father and son Kryštof and Kilián Dientzenhofer, who belonged among the leading artists of Prague´s late Baroque style.

 

 

 

Kampa Island (Kampa)

Kampa IslandThe Island Kampa, isolated from the Lesser Town by a side channel of the Vltava called Čertovka (Devil's Stream), is an unexpectedly peaceful part of Prague. There are picturesque little houses and a still functional mill. Worth visiting is also a place called Sovovy mlýny (Sova's mills) that houses an exquisite collection of modern arts. 

 

 

 

Charles Bridge (Karlův most)

Charles BridgeThe 520 meters long bridge is made of sandstone blocks that are fixed together with eggs added to mortar (or so the legends says). Orders to build the bridge were given by Charles IV after 1357 and the bridge was to be a substitute for the Judith Bridge that had been destroyed. The construction was lead by Peter Parler and originally it was a domed by a single cross. Nowadays, you can find there a range of various statues, the first of then being of Jon of Nepomuk from 1683. The Gothic Old Bridge Tower is one of the most striking constructions of its kind in the world. It is said that he who didn't see the Charles Bridge, wasn't really in Prague - it is simply a must for every visitor.

 

Contact


Certificate of Excellence 2012

Certificate of Excellence - TripAdvisor


Boat trip

Boat trip


Golden Tikka
indian restaurant

Golden Tikka
 


realizace: Topinfo CMSCopyright © 2008-2017 MIP-S